|Name: Kate Hudson
Birth Name: Katherine Garry Hudson
Birthdate: April 9, 1979
Birthplace: Los Angeles, CA
1-MINUTE RESUME FOR KATE HUDSON
Goldie Hawn's little girl (and spit and image) was sheltered from show business growing up, even though she desperately wanted in. After years of resistance, Kate's reluctant famous mom let her daughter pursue her Hollywood dream. The bubbly actress landed roles in Desert Blue (1998) and 200 Cigarettes (1999), but no one knew her name until she landed the role of Penny Lane in Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous (2000), a gig she had to beg to audition for. The part led to an Oscar nomination and instant fame. She cashed in with mega-hit romantic comedy How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days (2003), but fizzled with follow-ups Alex & Emma (2003), Raising Helen (2004) and The Skeleton Key (2005). She's hoping to strike gold again by pairing up with Owen Wilson and Matt Dillon in the 2006 slapstick comedy You, Me and Dupree.
1. The typically waifish Kate gained nearly 70 pounds during her pregnancy, which she lost in three months after a punishing diet and workout routine.
2. She turned down the part of Peter Parker's girlfriend Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man (2002) for the role of Ethne Eustace in The Four Feathers.
3. She started production company Cosmic Entertainment in 2003 with Goldie Hawn, Kurt Russell and brother Oliver.
4. Hudson was the youngest person to make Premiere's annual Power 100 List in 2003, when she was just 24.
5. The rocker wife is good friends with Liv Tyler and Keith Richards.
On the genre that made her a star: "I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies, believe it or not … Well, I don't run out to see them."
Husband: Chris Robinson, singer, The Black Crowes; married Dec. 31, 2000
Son: Ryder Russell Robinson; born Jan. 7, 2004
Mother: Goldie Hawn, actress
Brother: Oliver Hudson, actor; born Sept. 7, 1976
Stepfather: Kurt Russell, actor
Father: Bill Hudson, musician
2001: Academy Award nomination: Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Almost Famous; Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Motion Picture), Almost Famous
You, Me and Dupree - (2006) - Actor
The Skeleton Key - (2005) - Actor
Raising Helen - (2004) - Actor
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days - (2003) - Actor
Le Divorce - (2003) - Actor
Le Divorce/Down with Love - (2003) - Actor
Le Divorce/Just Married - (2003) - Actor
Alex & Emma - (2003) - Actor
The Four Feathers - (2002) - Actor
About Adam - (2001) - Actor
Ricochet River - (2001) - Actor
Gossip - (2000) - Actor
Almost Famous - (2000) - Actor
Dr. T and the Women - (2000) - Actor
200 Cigarettes - (1999) - Actor
Almost Famous/American Beauty - (1999) - Actor
Desert Blue - (1998) - Actor
Bachelor No. 2 - () - Actor